Utila Dive Operators come together to present second UTILA DIVE Festival this June
Utila Dive Festival is an exciting week-long event highlighting the tiny diving Mecca island of Utila, both above and below the water. A week of diving, dancing, dining and discovering on a tropical island whose heart beats SCUBA day in and day out.
It’s designed not only to attract a wide range of visitors but also to benefit the entire community of the island.
Following the success of the inaugural Utila Dive Festival on August 2012, the dive operators of Utila in the Bay Islands of Honduras are organizing the 2nd Utila Dive Festival, promoting Utila as a destination for scuba diving activities and training as well as the islands lifestyle and culture.
Utila is one of the three Bay Islands of Honduras located just south of Belize. Traditionally a beginners diving paradise, Utila has progressed over the years offering specialty training courses, tech diving, reef ecology and professional training packages. In recent years, many dive resorts and the Utila Aggressor have influenced Utila’s overall breadth, offering fun diving experiences mixed with casual Caribbean getaways. The myriad of Mom and Pop-shops, restaurants, crazy little seaside bars, topside activities and nature excursions round up the island as a fun happening place to spend a dive or water adventure vacation.
Our best assets are being part of the largest reef in the Western Hemisphere (Mesoamerican Barrier Reef) that surrounds the islands, the Caribbean sea life that makes its home in our waters and the elusive Whale Shark, the world’s largest fish that has been seen here all year round.
Current Sponsors & Prizes
Utila Dive Festival is being co-sponsored and marketed with support from PADI Americas headquarters, and is to be an annual calendar event on the island, promoting the sport of scuba diving, and Utila as a unique destination.
Sponsors from 2012 included the equipment manufacturers Scubapro, Aqualung, Sealife, DiveRite, Intova, sports cameras GoPro. As well as media support from Scubaboard (online community of 230,000 members), ScubaDiverLife (online community of 500,000 members) and SportDiver magazine. Already, many of well-known sponsors like PADI, GoPro cameras, Scubapro, DiveRite, SportDiver, ScubaBoard and ScubaDiver life are confirmed for the 2013 event. So far our sponsors have committed over $7000 in retail value of prizes that include:
- Liquivision dive computer and T-shirts
- 2 Sealife cameras, 2 Reefmaster cameras with external wide angle lens
- Aqualung regulator, BCD, Micromask, impulse 3 flex
- 6 Scuba pro 6 Mask & Snorkel Set, 1 MK25/S600 for grand price.
- Cressi Sub MC5 compact regulator, Traveling BDC, Big eye evo crystal mask, delta snorkels
- 2 GoPro Hero II cameras
The Utila Dive Operators involved in the activities and promotion of the festival are:
- Altons Dive Centre – PADI 5 star resort
- Bay Islands College of Diving/Utila Lodge – PADI Career Development Center
- Captain Morgans Dive Centre – PADI dive resort
- Coral View Resort – PADI 5 star IDC center
- Deep Blue Divers – PADI 5 star IDC center
- Ecomarine – PADI dive resort
- Laguna Beach resort – PADI dive resort
- Parrots Dive Center – PADI 5 star center
- Underwater Vision – PADI dive resort
- Utila Dive Centre/Mango Inn resort – PADI Career Development Center
- Utopia Village/U-dive resort – PADI dive resort
Activities for the week
There will be specialized diving activities held throughout the week including:
- Photography competition
- Advanced buoyancy workshops
- Reef ecology and whale shark talks
- Tec and sidemount try dives including closed circuit rebreathers
- Daily themed scuba dives
- Treasure hunt
At the surface there will be parties, social events, “Taste of Utila” Caribbean island style food fair and prize giveaways that will draw a crowd and very special opening and closing beach parties.
Many of the dive operators have week specials to coincide with the Utila Dive Festival and more information can be found here http://utiladivefestival.com/special-offers/