DAN Half-Way to Goal of 10,000 SCUBA Dives
DURHAM, NC – At the start of the summer, DAN® issued a challenge to all divers – as part of the PDE Extravaganza 2009, the organization set a goal of gathering 10,000 dive profiles during the summer months for Project Dive Exploration (PDE).
As always, the dive community is coming through in fine style. Already more than 5,000 dive profiles have been submitted as part of the PDE Extravaganza, and there are still six weeks to submit profiles. But that’s only halfway to the goal, so there’s more work to be done.
“We’re thrilled with the response so far,” said Donna Uguccioni, research coordinator for DAN. “We’ve gathered more profiles than we’d hoped we would at this point, but we still have a way to go. But we have every confidence that divers will come through to help us get the rest of the way and reach our goal.”
Any dive completed between May 27 and Sept. 7, 2009 is eligible for submission.
Participation is easy. If you’re not already registered:
1. Visit the DAN website, click on the PDE Extravaganza button on the homepage, and follow the instructions.
2. Complete the Diver ID form to be entered into the PDE database and receive a Diver ID code.
3. Go diving, have fun and save your dives electronically using the computer manufacturer’s software.
4. Enter your DAN Diver ID in place of the name and export the dives to DAN.
5. If you are using a non-compatible computer, please contact DAN Research at email@example.com for more info.
For every 10 or more dive profiles you submit, you’ll receive a specially designed T-shirt at the end of September and one automatic entry into a drawing for a DAN gift certificate worth $250 (some redemption restrictions apply). You will receive another entry for every additional five dives submitted; there’s no limit to the number of entries a diver can earn. Winners will be announced at the end of October.
All profiles submitted to the Extravaganza will be used by DAN Research for PDE, the most extensive and ongoing study of recreational diving ever conducted.
We are halfway to our goal of 10,000 new profiles this summer and with your help, we will get there. For additional information on PDE Extravaganza 2009, visit www.DiversAlertNetwork.org or call (800) 446-2671.