Women Divers Hall of Fame announces Class of 2011
(DiverWire) Dedicated to recognizing and honoring the contributions of women divers, the Women Divers Hall of Fame™(WDHOF) is an international, non-profit, professional honor society whose member contributions span a widevariety of fields including: The Arts, Science, Medicine, Exploration & Technology, Marine Archeology, Business,Media, Training & Education, Safety, Commercial & Military Diving, Free Diving, and Underwater Sports.
The Hall is proud to announce the selection of ten new Members who will constitute the Class of 2011:
- Sally E. Bauer, MD: physician, historian, speaker, writer, marine researcher
- Gina Bier: police detective, police diver, NAUI instructor trainer
- Christine Rooney Bird, MD: physician, television series producer, Founder, Ocean Research Group, Inc.
- Céline Cousteau: film producer, international adventurer, environment preservationist
- Anna DeLoach: computer expert, researcher, publisher, videographer, magazine editor
- Karen Straus: diving pioneer, instructor, journalist, photographer/videographer
- Maureen Langevin: diving instructor, tech diver, boat captain, videographer, expedition leader
- Michele Westmorland: visual artist, nature photographer/instructor, expedition leader
- Deborah Whitcraft: maritime historian, writer and speaker; President and Curator of the New Jersey Maritime Museum
- Cristina Zenato: ocean conservationist, diving instructor, cave explorer
(See biographies of these women at the Women Divers Hall of Fame website.)
These extraordinary women will be officially inducted into WDHOF on March 26, 2011 at the Beneath the Sea (BTS) Awards Banquet at the Sheraton Meadowlands Hotel in Secaucus, New Jersey (www.BeneathTheSea.org).
WDHOF, a 501(c)(3) corporation, was founded in 2000. WDHOF’s mission is to recognize the contributions of outstanding women divers and to offer financial and mentorship assistance to women and men interested in pursuing diving careers. As such, WDHOF offers 13 scholarships and training grants a year. For more information about or to contribute to the WDHOF scholarship program, log on to www.wdhof.org/scholarships.