It’s Beneath the Sea week in New York
Go to www.Beneaththesea.org for details, then print this and come spend your weekend beneath the sea
- 9:00 a.m. Public Safety Diver’s day-long conference
- 9:00 a.m. “A Day with DAN” technical conference
- 9:00 a.m. Marine Careers Day begins its third annual presentation with the artist Rogest as emcee.
- 6;00 p.m. and the Beneath the Sea exhibit floor with almost 400 exhibitors opens to the public
- 6:00 p.m. Technical Diving Conference begins
- 7:00 p.m. The first of the Beneath the Sea weekend parties kicks-off: The Fish n’ The Famous meet over cocktails, dinner and a Silent Auction to benefit the Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital. At this party our honorees of the weekend appear in public for the first time: Dr. Phil Nuytten Legend of the Sea … Dr. Eugenie Clark, Diving Pioneer, and Divers of the year: Cathy Church, Ty Sawyer, Paul Cornell.
- 9:00 p.m. The Tech/Wreck party begins — this is where real tech/wreck divers gather this year to celebrate Mike DeCamp, Beneath the Sea’s 2010 inaugural Northeast Diving Pioneer and plan for another year of diving local waters on local wrecks here in the NorthEast.
- The exhibit floor opens at 9;00 a.m. as do the Seminars and Workshops. 400 exhibitors pack a punch and deliver much to be seen that is new: new equipment, new styles, new ideas in dive travel and resorts. The recovered Dreamland Bell is on display, meet your favorite dive author at the book signing booth, win a door prize, win a prize at the silent auction, meet old friends, make new friends, join a dive club, discover the secrets of diving’s future by exploring its past … all at Beneath the Sea.
- At 5:00 p.m. it is party time again when the reception for the Awards banquet begins. The Awards Banquet this year honors Dr. Phil Nuytten as Legend of the Sea recognizing the exceptional inventiveness, courage, and insight of his designs taking men and women safely deep into the sea and returning them back to land … Beneath the Sea honors Dr. Eugenie Clark as Diving Pioneer her “Shark Lady” experience and fish research creating new careers in the ocean, gaining broad reaches of insight into the animals that inhabit it, and teaching the delicacy of the balance that we all have to each other … Divers of the year; Cathy Church, Arts, Internationally renowned underwater photographer for her leadership in both film and digital media; Ty Sawyer, Education, as editor of Sport Diver magazine Ty’s use of his journal to advance the sport of diving , the pleasure of diving, and the subtleties of the underwater world he writes about contributed to the increased participation and pleasure of those involved in the sport; Paul Cornell, Service, for the many years of selfless duty, dedication, and organization he has brought to the New York State diving community through his service on the NYSDA newsletter and with multiple organizations in the New York State dive society … The Beneath the Sea inaugural NorthEast Diving Pioneer Award, presented this year to Mike DeCamp who across the years has discovered and led the way onto many of the local wrecks we all know so well. Beneath the Sea will also proudly help the Women Divers Hall of Fame celebrate their 10th Anniversary.
- This ticket is the best deal at Beneath the Sea for not only do you get the awards Banquet, you also get the International Film Festival immediately following, then the Cayman Islands International Scuba Diving Hall of Fame’s 10th Anniversary Decompression Party following the Film Festival … WOW!
- By 8:00 pm. The Awards Banquet is done and it is time for Beneath the Sea’s International Film Festival hosted by Mike DeGruy, naturalist and television host. With Mike leading the way the Film Festival promises to be an outstanding evening mixing the old and the new in underwater photography. Leandro Blanco and Stan Waterman present “Voices” … then the rarely shown “With Williamson Beneath the Sea” (he was one of the first motion picture photographers to venture beneath the sea in 1916) … Nancy McGee introduces the World Premier of “Sensational Seas II” … “The Last Sardine” by Terry Maas … Bill Fisher and Joe Romiero speak for sharks in “Death of a Deity” … and the world-Renowned Dr. Joe MacInnis brings his unique appeal to the party. Oh … and there is a surprise gift for everybody … come get yours.
- 10;00 pm and time for the Cayman Islands International Scuba Diving Hall of Fame Decompression Party … come and meet all the presenters from the Film Festival, the honorees from the banquet and many, many others all who have come to party at Beneath the Sea. We will dance the night away, and have enough food and drink to keep us going.
- 9:00 a.m. the Beneath the Sea exhibit floor opens to the public, Workshops and Seminars are in full swing.
- 10:00 a.m. It is Ocean Pals Sunday at Beneath the Sea and Ocean Pals is presenting a program of creative construction, projects, and games for fun and entertainment. Then Ocean Pals will pass out awards to the winners of their Poster Contest and to the Digital Photography winners.
- 2:00 p.m. Ocean Pals Sunday at Beneath the Sea is having a “Sea of Sweets” party and everyone is invited, especially children. There are games and treats for all.
Don’t you miss out being a part of everything that is Beneath the Sea, check us out at: www.Beneaththesea.org … print this highlight of events … then join us for the fun, excitement, pleasure of good friends, good food, a good time.
Remember what they say: Be there or be talked about!