SSI releases new Science of Diving Manual
Scuba Schools International (SSI) has announced the debut of the much-anticipated Science of Diving Student manual.
This scuba diving resource makes a bold statement for recreational scuba divers and dive professionals alike. SSI’s Science of Diving Student manual is a full-color, 280 page manual with comprehensive content and stunning graphics that provides an in-depth study into the disciplines of diving.
SSI’s Science of Diving is the knowledge to mentally prepare divers for all types of diving experiences. The information presented in this manual gives divers the knowledge they seek about how depth and time can affect the body. The manual provides a detailed look into diving physics and physiology, decompression theory, the components of the Total Diving System and the aquatic environment.
1. The Physics – As humans, we are physically adapted to the natural land environment, which means that the “physics” of day-to-day living is instinctive. The effects of the underwater environment on the human body as well as the equipment used require the application of physics.
2. The Physiology – No other sport requires such an in-depth knowledge of how your body functions, because no other sport puts you in such a completely different environment. Under water, you cannot breathe without scuba equipment and your body goes through unseen changes.
3. Decompression Theory – Physics and Physiology can be reduced to three simple things: how depth, time, and rate of ascent can affect the body. Decompression theory is those limitations stated in dive tables and computers.
4. The Total Diving System – Equipment is an important part of any sport, it is the life support system in diving. This section deals with an in-depth look at that equipment.
5. The Aquatic Environment – The study of water and water movement is called “scuba oceanography.” The study of water creatures is called “aquatic life” for both ocean and fresh water inhabitants. The manual teaches divers all about both types of water and their inhabitants.
“We are excited to debut the Science of Diving. It was an ambitious project that became a labor of love. The result is a manual filled with invaluable information for the individual thirsty to learn more about all facets of diving,” stated Doug McNeese, SSI President and CEO.
For more details about this new scuba diving resource, contact your local SSI Retailer. To locate one, visit www.divessi.com.